#include <ianal.h>

On Wed Jun 04 2014 at 1:55:01 PM, Biju Chacko <biju.cha...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 4, 2014 at 1:25 PM, Sudhakar Chandra <tha...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > 4. Would the employee use any of the employer's resources (computers,
> > bandwidth, electricity, office space, email address, hosting space, etc.)
> > in developing the open source software? If not, how would the employee
> > ensure that they are not using any resources from the employer in
> building
> > this software?
>
> There is no intent to do so but no way has been proposed to verify that.

Your contract should include a clause like "In developing this software
Employee agrees to not use any of the Employer's resources - including but
not limited to computers, internet bandwidth, electricity, office space,
email address, hosting space.

> > 7. What happens if someone sues the employee for the open source
> software?
> > Can the employer get sucked into the dispute?
>
> The intent is that the company be insulated from this.

A clause along the lines of "Employer disavows any legal liability,
implicit or explicit from Employee developing said Open Source software"

> > 8. What happens to the employer/employee if the software turns out to be
> > the next What's App or InstaApp?
>
> Ensuring clarity on this is one of the goals of this exercise.

Perhaps also make it explicit that employee will continue to be evaluated
on the work they do as part of their day job. And a clause about employer
declaring no financial interest in said open source project.

> > Some sort of agreement between the employer and the employee addressing
> the
> > details of these would be a good starting step.
>
> Exactly -- a template for this was precisely what I was looking for.
> While my company is supportive it really isn't considered important
> enough to spend lawyer hours on. We're trying to set a precedent so
> that there is some boilerplate in place for other people.

For most companies, a short, common sense contract should be fine. But
companies that are walking targets for frivolous lawsuits have been known
to throw lawyers at the problem.

Thaths