Meta-observation: For a bunch of English speakers (or maybe *because*
we're a bunch of English speakers), I find many educated Indians'
interest in phonetic literalness and comprehensiveness amusing.

> Of all the Indian language scripts that I have come across (admittedly not
> many) the Kannada script seems the least ambiguous and the most phonetic.

"Just because you're hung like a moose, doesn't mean you have to do
porn!" - Harold and Kumar go to Whitecastle.

Having the symbols doesn't necessarily mean they are actually used in
practice. One example is how the generic nasalization consonant
anusvara (ಅಂ) is used even when specific nasalizations like ಙ, ಞ etc
are available. The anusvara is also used for both - soft nasalization
sound (eg ಗಂಜಿ), and also as a hard-m sound as in ತಂಬಾಕು.

> Uday...it's getting more and more painful to go to the end of a thread on
> Gmail and tack on my additional comments. So...sorry...top-posting, even
> though I agree that one has to read from the bottom, upwards, to get the
> context of a thread!

Yeah, it's been a while since I was in a mailing list as well. I hope
I'm doing it right this time.