Selection bias cuts a number of ways. While there are a lot of thoughtful selection in the lists I skimmed, there was a notable bias towards traditionally male skills. I saw one book on sewing and none on spinning, weaving, knitting, dyeing, or felting. I saw nothing on education, childcare, eldercare, or nursing. Food preservation and preparation seemed underrepresented as well.

On the other hand, the books that were included seemed like a good collection to have on the shelf right next to your Real Goods catalog.

--hmm
Charles Haynes <mailto:charles.hay...@gmail.com>
September 29, 2014 at 10:57 PM September 29, 2014
I wonder how many of the books will be in Chinese. They say they aren't
"limiting" nominations to english, but selection bias and subsequent voting
bias will be huge.

-- Charles

skn <mailto:s...@skn.fastmail.fm>
September 29, 2014 at 9:55 PM September 29, 2014
Long Now Foundation has a very interesting project - Manual for
Civilization Lists, roughly 3500 books most essential to sustain or
rebuild civilization.
http://blog.longnow.org/02014/02/06/manual-for-civilization-begins/

The recent blog post on the subject has list from David Brin, Bruce
Sterling & Daniel Suarez
http://blog.longnow.org/02014/09/29/science-fiction-authors-manual-for-civilization/