On Sun, Nov 09, 2014 at 12:31:55PM +0800, Chew Lin Kay wrote:
> So many books to read, so little time!
>
> /ahem
>
> Popping up to say a) thank you for all the book recommendations that I will
> now feel compelled to read, and b) on top of what Thaths said, an e-ink
> device really is that much easier on the eyes--borrowed a Kindle, no
> problems reading in glare and in dimmer conditions. Would buy one if I can
> figure out an easy way round the DRM issues in Singapore.
>
> Chew Lin

>From my own not so huge experience:

1. if you plan to buy (mostly) from Amazon and (rather) not some other
places, use Kindle

2. if you plan to have lots of books with you, possibly needing sd
card, Kindle didn't have a place for it last time I looked

3. if you plan to read materials in many formats, Kindle may be unable
to handle them (last time I looked, if memory serves, it was
impossible to read books in such formats as doc, rtf, djvu or chm on a
Kindle)

I solved my potential problems with Kindle by buying from other
manufacturer (PocketBook 622 if anybody is curious). I will be unable
to buy books from Amazon while fishing on some remote island, but if I
happen to be on a remote island without decent computer then I will be
in bigger dodo than just lack of shopping. Other than this, I am
directed to some shop set up by my manufacturer whenever I go wifi, so
if I really wanted I could buy there, but I just ignore it and all is
fine. Project Gutenberg, Wikisources, arxiv and so on - what else one
would want?

BTW, my PocketBook cannot read closed mobi format, which if I
understand things well enough, is what Amazon sells. Well, I can
easily live with that. I guess it can handle open mobi without
problem, but I don't remember if I ever tried. Right now I have
interesting book about certain aspects of programming, downloaded from
the author's website, in djvu. Looks great.

And I have plugged in 8gb mini sd card for my pocket collection.

Anyway, just keep in mind there is more to e-ink then Kindle. Even if
they are more present and visible, they are far from the best option,
at least in my opinion. Unless, of course, one is die hard Amazon
customer - I have no problem with this, but I choose differently.

--
Regards,
Tomasz Rola

** Tomasz Rola          mailto:tomasz_r...@bigfoot.com             **