I recommend you read the entire thing. And I am eager for your thoughts on this.

http://www.antipope.org/charlie/blog-static/2014/11/symptoms-of- ageing.html

On the thesis that deliberate forgetting may be desirable to preserve reaction time:

For humans as individuals, I don't buy it. (Can anyone here closer to, or on the far side of, 50 back Stross up?)

I'm 7 or 8 years closer to 50 than when I first discovered "Sheep Dash":
http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/humanbody/sleep/sheep/reaction_version5.swf
yet my performance is not any worse. (despite having learned many things, and having a richer set of associations to draw upon ... in the appropriate circumstances)

Ian Millar picked up an Olympic medal at 61, and is still competitive. Mariano Aguerre is still this side of 50, but he's near the top of a contact sport which is normally a much younger man's game. Admittedly, they're both using someone else's lungs and knees, but they still rely on their own reflexes and responsiveness*.

Of course, anticipation is a confounding variable: I don't mind being theoretically 40ms slower than a 20-year old on raw twitch when the extra experience practically yields a 250-500 ms lead in reading the game. The best advice for sport, if not for life, I've ever received: "if you know where to be, you can let the young guys run".

For humans as social animals, it's a true, but not necessarily novel, observation about culture. (which raises a question: is a short-term culture essential, or an accident of limited transmission bandwidth?)

Look at computers: software trends are largely hemlines, which mostly follow a brownian progress (and tend to make qualitative jumps only insofar as the underlying quantitative hardware progress permits), changing vocabulary (both spoken and visual) every few years so we have plenty of work to do, filling up the equilibria between jumps.

Someone with less parochial interests than mine might even go so far as to apply this observation to societies as a whole:

GK Chesterton, early XX
... what really happens in history is this: the old man is always wrong; and the young people are always wrong about what is wrong with him. The practical form it takes is this: that, while the old man may stand by some stupid custom, the young man always attacks it with some theory that turns out to be equally stupid.

(although having more of a progessive than a conservative disposition, I would globally insert "almost"s before his "always")

-Dave

* I haven't been in the salle in ages, but in our fencing club we have an octogenarian beginner. Legwise, he has no mobility, but he's still pretty sharp with the hand -- and more importantly, he has an analytic mind, and hence fixes holes in his game much more readily than some of our teenagers and young adults do.

Some support for 50 as a cutoff age comes from Mochida Moriji, but he talks about using increased responsiveness to compensate for declining physical ability:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XHSZ-sLG3I