On Jan 17, 2015 6:25 AM, "Dave Long" <dave.l...@bluewin.ch> wrote:
[…]
> Of course I could be completely wrong ... what do our self learning
silk-listers think of all this?  How long do you feel would be "too long"
to work on an exercise or a puzzle?

I like your boxing gym analogy.

It is my experience that I enjoy a large library and copious spare time
more than any tutor or external source of motivation. The joy of learning
is usually enough. I do enjoy interacting with a passionate community when
I need to bounce ideas.

I'm almost entirely self taught, academia is where I went to mollify my
parents. I did however learn about unpredictability of the human element,
something that was  largely absent when coding in my bedroom. So it was
very useful, albeit an unexpected outcome. I don't know if competitions
help with that.

It could be the way I do things, but competitions or victory against others
had never interested me in any sphere of life, including programming. I
definitely like the act of creation. Creating something that can be a
complete application that someone could potentially use in real life is
important even when I'm learning a language.

I also know several excellent programmers who enjoy awards and the thrill
of success from being the best even if it means working on artificial
problems.

I don't think there's a stereotype.