On Fri, Dec 11, 2015 at 11:05 AM, Thaths <tha...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]
> * Alice Albina's Empires of the Indus

I've just started on this one, it is just amazing!

> * The Emperor of All Maladies: A Biography of Cancer
> <http://www.amazon.com/dp/1439170916/> by Siddhartha Mukherjee. An
> excellent exploration of the history of cancer treatments and mankind's
> experience with the malady.

I read this tome this year. Not impressed due to some reasons:
* 200+ pages spent on just cutting out breast tissue (breast cancer).
No one in the world needs to know this much details :-)
* Descriptions of doctors and their new procedures is way too flowery.
It's the literary equivalent of a person prostrating to the feet of a
doctor :-D
* Too focused on the hospitals in Boston and the celebrities and their
endorsements for cancer and such.
* This book is too long. It could be easily sliced in half while
retaining all the content and energy.

~ash