Kiran K Karthikeyan wrote:

Posting this [1] on the only place I know where there are better minds than
mine who can tell me not to worry so I can sleep better at night.

https://medium.com/basic-income/deep-learning-is-going-to-teach-us-all-the-lesson-of-our-lives-jobs-are-for-machines-7c6442e37a49#.4mn452rn9

It's easy to disregard such fearmongering, which has been going on since the horse was replaced by steam power, and which received a boost when computers proved practical. But such fundamental changes do have a remarkable impact on the nature of work, and we do need to work hard to guide those changes into the most desirable option possible.

We just have to decide which that is.

The author's call for Universal Basic Income (UBI) is a wise one, and that would be my judgment even if we had no fear of encroaching automation. Separating work from subsistence would permit a new perspective to develop in society, and one I think would ultimately be of great benefit (after the pain of transition wore off).

But this would require we develop some means of taxing the use of such automation so that governments have the wherewithal to pay for UBI. If it instead is made to ride on the shoulders of those few with high-paying jobs, the structure becomes unsound rather quickly.

This suggests that UBI will fare far better in countries like Finland where Big Industry and Big Government aren't sleeping with one another. In the US, which is sliding rapidly into an oligarchy, it's quite possible that the self-serving elite will exempt themselves from taxation, eviscerate the movement toward UBI, and utterly impoverish the bulk of society.

So, we have several options here:

1. Make UBI work. The burden of ensuring that corporations pay sufficient tax to keep their nations populace alive will be great, but it's preferable to option 2. If done carefully, this will cushion the blow by increasing the cost of automation while lowering the salary demands of workers. It may well be that automation (and its associated taxation) will prove to have a higher cost than simply hiring humans.

This is also important because even a fully automated business needs customers, especially in a consumer-driven economy like most of us occupy. Henry Ford was cited for paying his workers more than the prevailing wage so that they could afford to buy his products. Had he not lead the way to higher industrial wages, his enterprise would have foundered for lack of sales. Automated industry must similarly be concerned that even with their economies they do not price themselves above a falling market.

2. Don't make UBI work. The result will be vast discrepancies of wealth, with the same social upheaval that's followed every prior instance of such an arrangement. Yes, you could automate a police force and just keep shooting, but would the surviving elite be able to keep the automated systems working with such a small base?

This structure could also fail of the elite don't build those "robo-cops". In this scenario, the mobs with pitchforks and torches breach the Bastille, destroy the automation (and those who could fix it), and throw society as a whole into another dark age. Widespread death and a greatly reduced population would result.

3. Don't make UBI work, but make it not work slowly, and effect a significant reduction in population. China was on the smart road here for some time, but cultural backlash and the growth of their middle class have obliged them to surrender this battle. It is one worth resuming on all fronts, as nearly every woe this world is prey to can be pinned, at some level, on overpopulation. (See Stanley Schmidt on this topic.)

So either we engineer a new social balance that maintains most of our population, or we suffer from either a deliberate or consequent decimation ... perhaps to a level that cannot sustain what we now consider civilization.

Like any other tool, automation of jobs can be used for good or bad purposes. Because it is so far-reaching, the care with which it needs to be implemented, and the complexity of the compensating factors is so great, that many will despair of this civilization working through to the end of it all.

Me, I'm thinking it's time to start stockpiling pitchforks and torches; you never know when they're going to come in handy!

Cheers,
Bruce