I have been back to live in India after 15 years.

One of the things that I find very odd is the way sanitary napkins are
treated.

for example, if I buy it in a pharmacy -- the guy will either wrap it in a
newspaper or a brown paper bag before putting it inside a plastic bag (not
done for anything else), clearly to conceal what is inside. Kind of like
the alcohol used to be sold many years ago ...

I have tried asking many times why they do this -- but I get an embarrassed
mumbled reply. Recently i ordered things from an online grocery service,
and they had a sanitary pad as a free gift ... interestingly even this came
meticulously packed inside a brown paper bag.

I tried asking my mother why are they doing this -- but she wouldn't give
me an answer either ... it was a matter too embarrassing to be discussed.
I haven't attempted walking around with a pack inside a plastic bag without
anonymization ... perhaps I should. I have not seen this phenomenon in
other countries ( my sample of other countries is a couple of african
countries  and a few european countries)