The challenge is to find ways to translate this talent for civil discourse into civil society.

I was a little reassured by http://olduse.net/ to discover that no, it isn't just that my memories have potemkined up a golden age, but online discourse (although one can see some early starts to some of our current endless flamewars) was indeed more civilized 30 years ago.

This is a non-trivial task in this uncivil age we live in.

A question I have: is electronic discourse in this age so uncivil in general, or is it largely an anglophone occurrence? I can't tell: I can say that the non-anglophone communities I've interacted with online have seemed more civil in general, but a confounding factor is that they've been both few in number and relatively "closed" (communities in a non-oxymoronic sense); I could easily just be seeing the toxicity of huge nearly-anonymous open-to-drive-by "online communities" and ascribing that to anglophony because the only examples I have of the latter are anglophone. (and, of course silk fills in yet another quadrant, being anglophone yet civilized)

Or another (possibly less flamebaity?) hypothesis: 30 years ago, online discourse was (due to both technical and social factors) a largely literary activity; these days (due to both technical and social factors) it is (and hence its least civil exemplars are) overwhelmingly oral?

-Dave

Other tangents:
an early XXI Shirky piece on common patterns in digital incivility over the ages:
http://www.shirky.com/writings/herecomeseverybody/group_enemy.html
and the excellent (ahem) "On Trolling":
http://journals.cambridge.org/action/displayFulltext? type=6&fid=10413858&jid=APA&volumeId=2&issueId=02&aid=10413837&bodyId=&m embershipNumber=&societyETOCSession=&fulltextType=RA&fileId=S20534477160 00099 (which suggests: can we just "flip the sign bit", and say that if we understand what a troll is, and in what way trolling is accomplished, then an easy way to promote civil society is to endeavor to undertake the opposite?)

... ἐν τούτῳ μετὰ τῶν φίλων βούλονται διάγειν: διόπερ οἳ μὲν συμπίνουσιν, οἳ δὲ συγκυβεύουσιν, ἄλλοι δὲ συγγυμνάζονται καὶ συγκυνηγοῦσινἢ συμφιλοσοφοῦσιν ...