Dear All,

Udhay has responded to my foolish remark by calling my bluff:

I also worked at the front desk of a hotel (part-time) for ten
years. Got some stories from that!

​Please share (you too, Udupa!)​

​*cough*​

Okay fine, here's one.

In the hotel business, there is an unfortunately common process euphemistically referred to as an "involuntary checkout". This is where the hotel obliges the guest to check out early, and against his wishes. It's usually the result of the guest doing something stupid. One example:

I was standing at the front desk, minding my own business, when a woman approached the desk, the smoke already coming out of her ears. Wishing to avoid having one of my twenty-something colleagues muff the job, I waved her over and said, "Tell me what's wrong."

She opened her hand and displayed a tissue containing a cigar butt. "The asshole upstairs from me is smoking, which he shouldn't be doing in a non-smoking building, and dropping his ashes and butts on my balcony ... where my toddlers were playing!"

(If the geometry of this sounds off, know that the building is built on a slant such that it's hard to drop something off one balcony without it landing on the next.)

Seeing immediately that this was a matter well above my pay scale, I promised to bring prompt attention to the right parties and nipped into the office to inform my supervisor that the duty manager was needed.

At that point, I was taken out of the loop, but what followed was amusing and instructive.

The duty manager went to the smoker's room, knocked on the door, and explained that he was in a non-smoking building, and that other guests had complained about his use of their balcony as his ashtray. Before he got to the point of deciding if they could stay, the smoker says something disparaging and obscene, and slams the door in his face. This made his decision about whether to eject the smoker simple.

Fifteen minutes later, he knocks on the door again, this time in the company of a maintenance man with bolt cutters, a security guard with discrete recording equipment, and a county deputy sheriff (local police) with all the tools that come with.

He shouts more dismissive obscenities through the door, upon which the duty manager uses his pass key to unlock the door, and pushes it open against the security chain. The maintenance worker cuts said chain with his bolt cutters, and the deputy steps in and resumes the conversation.

After much high-volume debate, the smoker was given the options of leaving in his own car or the back of the deputy's. Foolishly he chose the latter, and was promptly cuffed and dragged off to face charges of commercial trespass, defrauding an innkeeper, and resisting arrest.

The manager then turned to his wife, and informed her that the rest of the family was also being evicted. She voiced the same opinion as her husband, and challenged him to get another deputy to arrest her.

However, after hearing that her arrest would place her children into the custody of the state child welfare agency, where she wouldn't see them again for at least six months, and possibly never (since they lose kids all the time), she elected to depart in her own vehicle.

The family forfeited the rest of their week's rent (paid in advance), a $500 cleaning fee for both their room and the one below, a free night for the family below, the cost of replacing a security chain, the remaining value of their theme park tickets, and of course the cost of bail, lawyers, and all that goes with.

Morals abound here, of course, from "complain politely but immediately" to "don't piss off a deputy sheriff". Sadly, this little scene was repeated on average of once per month in our 1000-room hotel. Sadly, there is much stupid in the world, and it's not *just* in politics.

Cheers,
/ Bruce /