On Tue, Jun 6, 2017 at 9:55 PM, Dibyo <gdi...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 7 Jun 2017 03:19, "Prashant P Kothari" <ppkoth...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Folks
>
> We're moving in to a new house in Virginia this summer
>
> Q) The builder's default cable is CAT5... but I'm wondering if it makes
> sense to upgrade to CAT5e or even CAT6?
>
> Does anyone have first-hand experience with this
>
> Thanks
> Prashant
>

> Dont have experience with house builders but cat6 is clearly superior. The
> easiest way to speed up your home internet if you have broadband is to make
> sure the cable from the wall to your modem/router is cat6.
>
> Question: while wires are stronger than WiFi, I'm assuming most of your
> home will be on WiFi?

-----------------------

Thanks for the recommendations, all.

Re wifi vs wires: actually I'm trying to see if I can set up wired as much
as possible.

TV-to-Verizon FIOS: via CAT6 cable
TV-to-Internet (Amazon/ Netflix): via Ethernet cables, if possible
Desktop-to-Internet: via Ethernet
Laptops-to-Internet: via Ethernet cable, at least in my home office

Reasons
1) Speed
2) A techie I met recently said it's safer to minimize the use of wifi at
home

Best
Prashant