On Sat, Nov 4, 2017 at 8:49 AM, Udhay Shankar N <ud...@pobox.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Nov 4, 2017 at 7:51 AM, Anil Kumar <anilkumar.naga...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> I have trained on a manual typewriter
> > many years ago (that is, took formal training for a full year at a
> *typing
> > institute* in Bangalore during my 9th standard; was not allowed to take
> up
> > the typewriting exam).
>

> ​Say more about this?​
>
> ​Udhay​

The Karnataka Secondary Education Examination Board conducts typewriting
and shorthand examinations after a student is trained by a registered *commerce
institute*.  The eligibility criteria for taking the exam is passing the
10th standard exams.  Some commerce institutes admitted students like
myself earlier than in the 10th standard or those that had not passed the
10th standard exam only to train as a typist but could not take the
exam conducted by the Board.  The training certainly helped in later years
when typing on a computer keyboard became a daily requirement.  Folks at
home got us to type formal letters occasionally.  The carbon tapes used on
the manual typewriter were available in uni-color (black) and dual colors
(black and red) where the red color was used to highlight certain text.
The typewriters were serviced periodically to keep them working well.  The
letter fonts had to be cleaned regularly using some fuel for clearly typed
letters and the levers had to be oiled regularly.

Anil