I think there's an obvious but not very useful way to address this,
which is to simply advise that one should preserve some empty space in
one's diary each day and then see what comes up to fill it.

The reality is that such a space is virtually impossible to maintain and
is, at the least, very antagonistic toward the process by which one
prioritizes those things that pay the most dividends across the most
domains in one's life.

That's because, inevitably, there are more things than can be done than
there is time to do. If all the things that are left undone are things
that advance multiple projects in meaningful ways, it's always going to
be hard-to-impossible to choose to leave those undone while an empty
slot sits in one's diary against some speculative gain that may arise
from leaving it there.

Cory

--

FOR PUBLIC SAFETY REASONS, THIS EMAIL HAS BEEN INTERCEPTED BY YOUR
GOVERNMENT AND WILL BE RETAINED FOR FUTURE ANALYSIS

--

Cory Doctorow
docto...@craphound.com

For avoidance of doubt: This email does not constitute permission to add

blog: boingboing.net
upcoming appearances: craphound.com/?page_id=4667
books (novels, collections graphic novels, essay collections): craphound.com
latest novel: Walkaway
latest nonfiction: Information Doesn't Want to Be Free
latest graphic novel: In Real Life
podcast: feeds.feedburner.com/doctorow_podcast
latest YA novel: Homeland craphound.com/homeland
latest short story collection: Expanded Overclocked

Join my mailing list and find out about upcoming books, stories,
articles and appearances:

READ CAREFULLY. By reading this email, you agree, on behalf of your
employer, to release me from all obligations and waivers arising from
any and all NON-NEGOTIATED  agreements, licenses, terms-of-service,
shrinkwrap, clickwrap, browsewrap, confidentiality, non-disclosure,
non-compete and acceptable use policies ("BOGUS AGREEMENTS") that I have
entered into with your employer, its partners, licensors, agents and
assigns, in perpetuity, without prejudice to my ongoing rights and
privileges. You further represent that you have the authority to release
me from any BOGUS AGREEMENTS on behalf of your employer.

As is the case with every email you've ever received, this email has not
been scanned for all known viruses.

Duh.