The suspension may be across genres but the world building is quite highly
driven by genre. The more a world looks like ours, the more we take for
granted—we tend not to question the politics or technology in a romantic comedy
because it isn’t valuable to the plot. We simply assume it resembles our world.
The fewer parallels with us the new world has, the more we might fall into two
camps: wanting answers to absolutely everything, or ignoring the details for the
spectacle. Each has its own school of disbelief and genre provides the means to
suspend that.
Especially fun if they’re both in the same movie: Iron Man builds a fusion
reactor into his chest to power his suits, and Thor throws a hammer so hard,
holding on to it propels him into space.
Cheerio,

Ashim
Design & Build

The Random Lines
www.therandomlines.com

On Mon, Feb 19, 2018 9:57 AM, Udhay Shankar N ud...@pobox.com  wrote:
On Mon, Feb 19, 2018 at 9:54 AM, Ashim D'Silva <as...@therandomlines.com> wrote:

> Funnily enough that was among the criticism of the new Star Wars—using a

> sci-fi plot style in a fantasy world. The tension in the movie depended

> heavily on a craft running out of fuel and therefore generated a tonne of

> questions about how the spacecrafts worked rather than the fantasy that

> normally surrounds Star Wars films. So this critique is then confusingly at

> odds with fans who want nothing to do with sci-fi at all. I imagine this is

> what separates Star Wars and Star Trek fans.

The key thing with willing suspension of disbelief intrinsically has

nothing to do with which genre the story is part of, but being

internally consistent.

Udhay

PS: I wanted to work Godel into this reply, but will resist.