Tomasz Rola wrote on 1/25/19 4:04 AM January 25, 2019:
On Mon, Jan 21, 2019 at 09:37:30PM -0500, Bruce A. Metcalf wrote:
[...]
The longer we put it off, the worse it will be when it does come.
Perhaps central Africa and the middle east have it right, get it
done now and avoid the rush.

"Civil World War", I like that term, unfortunately.

I strongly oppose the idea of war (civil or not) as way of problem
solving. And it is a good testament to human inborn stupidity that
problems cannot be solved in other ways, apparently. But it will not
happen for a very different reason. Simply put, wars wreck ecosystems
and after this next one, no more ecosystems anymore. So, instead a
virus will be unleashed. I guess that 1/3 of global population may be
gone without much repercussion other than bad memories (and witnessing
from the side, I can tell you how long those memories will last: chew
a gum, spit it, gone). Perhaps 2/3 might be doable with enough smart
automation already running. Forget about preppers. They are going to
bite the sand as everybody else.

The problem with chains of logic is that the running code (in this case, reality) can take another branch anywhere along the line and end up in a completely different place.

Wars definitely damage, but rarely completely wreck, ecosystems. Even the most devastating nuclear war would have a hard time eradicating all humans on Earth, let alone every extremophile ecosystem on the planet.

The idiocies and cruelties of the warrior overlords are way beyond my imagination, let alone modeling abilities, but I have observed that they are often willing to accept unbelievable risks in order to achieve their objectives. Where else would the logic that India would "win" an all-out nuclear war with Pakistan come from?

What they have in central Africa and Middle East is, I am afraid, a
civilisation cancer. If I were cancer, I would say they are doing it
right. But I will only say, it is metastasing and whoever thinks that
he can easily control it is in huge error.

The whole planet is infected with the same disease. Either the infectious agent (that would be us) will learn to live in harmony with its environment or it will die when it kills its host.

--hmm