Read a lot of books this year, thanks to the pandemic. The ones that I
really liked were:

1. Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel, a story about.. a world where
98% of the population have been killed by a pandemic, and the survivors
wander around a post apocalyptic world.

2. Golden Boy and the Bad Old Days of Australian Cricket by Christian Ryan
(some reviewers say it belongs in Beyond A Boundary territory among the
great cricket books).

3. A Memory Called Empire by Arkady Martine, which won the Hugo award for
Best Novel, and is a superb space adventure that even non sci-fi fans like
me could read.

4. Possession by Kamala Markandaya a rare gem by one of the early
post-Independence IWE writers.

5. Rodham by Curtis Sittenfeld, a What-If- Hillary had not married Bill
piece of speculative fiction.

6. Dreamers by Snigdha Poonam, about 7 "under -35 Indians", and their
worldview, life journey, and aspirations - economic, social and political.
Brilliant.

7. Secret History by Donna Tartt- one of the great "campus novels", one
that I finally got around to reading.

8. Chosen Spirits by Samit Basu- a bit of a mixed bag, equal parts superb
and underwhelming. India (Delhi, rather), 10 years or so from now, and in
some kind of Ready Player One world.

9. The Last Odyssey by James Rollins- the latest adventure by one of the
world's great thriller writers.

10. Exciting Times by Naoise Dolan. Supposed to be Sally Rooney-ish (I've
not read Rooney), but I found this a remarkably well written book about a
young woman who chucks it all and goes to Hong Kong.

11. An Instance of the Fingerpost by Iain Pears- murder mystery set in 16th
Century Oxford. Ponderous at times, but grand and sweeping.