M. G. Devour wrote:

> On 18 Jul 98 at 22:08, Bill K. wrote:
>
> > the reversal of polarity might 'unbuild' the black buildup,
> > molecule by molecule, while you relax.  All I'm suggesting is that
> > nobody seems to have investigated, or at least reported, on this.
>
> It's an interesting idea, Bill, and I think Bruce Stenulson has done
> something with it recently. (Bruce, you there?)  It's easy to
> implement with a 555 timer chip and a small relay. (A couple of
> switching transistors could do the job for less, if you were building
> a million of 'em.)

I've been working with pulsing the current to minimize certain
undesirable effects of the constant current process; I personally have
reservations, however, about reversing the polarity...

> > It seems possible that some of the gray silver particles which
> > collect on the cathode would be quickly converted to CS, each time
> > the cathode switched and became the anode -- thus improving the net
> > efficiency of CS production by up to several hundred percent.

The assumption here is that agglomerations of silver particles, which
have made contact with the negatively charged electrode and consequently
gained an electron / been stripped of their positive ionic charge, might
revert into very small, positively charged ionic silver particles
again.... but will the ideal actually happen?

The thought that occurs to me is: It's also possible that all that would
result is that *the weak attraction* between the negatively charged
electrode and the particles of reduced 'silver sludge', which holds them
in place, would be reversed, repelling this residue back into the water
in it's charge-stripped state...

IF positively charged silver ions, of a very small particle size, are
what Becker's work seems to indicate are the most biologically active
form of silver for our use, then suspended non-charged particles may not
be quite as desirable in our product...  Considering that silver
chloride and silver carbonate solutions are still being made and used by
many, who still seem to report positive effects, we're left with the
underlying question, "IS the positively charged ionic silver particle
the most desirable to produce *exclusively* in our 'home brew' efforts?

> This is a well put statement of the possible advantage. That would be
> a great benefit, if it worked that way.
>
> > Likewise, the black silver oxide on the 'anode' (now cathode)
> > might be rapidly converted into CS plus H2O. Thus leaving both
> > electrodes relatively 'clean'.

The positively charged electrode forms a black (silver oxide?) coating;
will changing the charge on the electrode cause the oxygen to un-bond
with the silver, or will it instead simply repel smaller silver oxide
particles (too fine to easily identify) back into the water? I tend to
expect that the latter is the case.

Avoiding re-dispersal of accumulated products from the surface of the
electrodes seems advisable; once they've gone through a reaction in
contact with one of the electrodes, current reversal may *not* provide
the desired reversal of that reaction, but instead simply propel them
away from those surfaces, to be suspended in the water.

This subject, therefore, may need further study. I'm inclined personally
to not reverse the polarity at this time. If a methodology is available
to analyze the resulting product, this would be interesting to
investigate further, but I am unsure what means for testing would
actually be required...

Bruce