bjs wrote:
1. I think the people donating the money should have the last say about
   just what is going to get tested.
my reply:
I absolutely agree.

2. I don't think anyone that donated understands what is going to
   be tested or what it is going to be tested on.
my reply:
I agree that the water has been mudied.  Originally, the plan was to do
a microbial challenge test on an agreed upon sample of CS.  This was
expected to cost $400.  In the mean time, it appears that similar tests
have been run in the past.  There is some debate about what has been
tested, but it seems clear that there is evidence that some form of CS
product has been successful at either preventing the growth of the
tested bacteria or at killing it.  This has brought about some debate
over what should be tested and how to standardize a CS so that we can
have a standard against which to measure different CS solutions.  We
also want to develop a standardized way to make CS that we can be
comfortable giving information on (both how to make it, what its
properties are, and what benefits have been observed).  Because the
discussion has meandered a bit, I don't expect anybody to contribute a
cent until those who are committed have a mutual understanding about
what will be tested, how it will be tested, where it will be tested,
etc.  This is a big challenge, but I'm not willing to pass up the
opportunity to formulate some standards that will be useful to others.
I can't think of a better group to do this than the subscribers to the
list (nobody else cares to do it, to the best of my knowledge).

3. I think more donations would be made if these issues were settled.
   With a little more money and a plan of action, we may(you) in effect
   not be wasting money.
My reply:
But, of course.

4. To attempt to start that process, would it be more cost effective
   to have our "better brewers" samples checked for ppm and particle
   sizes before any lab culture work is done? This is where I would
   kick in a donation.
My reply:
Yes.  This is definitely a first step, now.  Therefore, we need to
determine the most reliable and cost effective way to test samples of
CS.  Ideally, we should be able to tell anyone how to get their home
brew tested.  That seemed to be the idea behind the TDS-1, until we
learned that we can't rely on its measurements until we can compare it
to an objective standard.  Any suggestions on testing would be
appreciated.  I am following a lead myself, but don't want to discuss it
until I find out if it is viable.  At the very least, I'd like to be
able to compare some home brews to some commercial brands.

5. Nothing we do is to imply the safety of CS to anyone on this list
   or in any way to anybody else. Only the FDA can do that.
My reply:
That's right.  This is humans, being human, and sharing what they've
learned, but knowing that there is much that they don't know.  Sharing
lab data and methodologies is always OK.  Testimonials leave me a bit
uncomfortable, but they give avenues to explore and allow the
composition of postulates to be tested, therefore they have value.  We
don't know enough, and possibly won't in the next 10-20 years, to be
able to give FDA quality information on the safety of CS.

I would be glad to shift the initial focus of our studies to testing and
comparing home-brewed and commercial preparations of CS.  We need to
come up with a standard ppm and particle size and an easily reproducible
way to make the same quality of CS consistently.  Once we have this, we
can shift to microbial challenges or other types of tests.

I hope those who have made commitments so far are willing to stay
committed to the process, but you should only do so to the extent you
feel comfortable with the direction we are taking.  As for me, I remain
committed with $50 (for the moment, maybe more later if I continue to
feel good about the direction we are going and the results we obtain).
I would love to have suggestions of where to test the CS samples.  I
think we could learn a lot by asking different manufacturers to submit
samples to be tested and letting them tell us what they think is
important in the testing process and telling us which independent labs
they consider worthwhile.  It may be that everyone votes for a different
lab, but if we find consensus on the issue, it may help considerably.

Douglas McMurtrie, I thank you for your support to date.  bjs, thanks
for your suggestions above which help to clarify the direction we need
to go in.  Everyone: let your voices be heard if you have
recommendations.  I dread reading all the e-mail, but make sure you
label your communication clearly so we can be efficient in our reading.

Best regards,

Bob Wells