Doug,

Some of this was discussed a few months back, without any rewal
conclusions being agreed upon. I pointed out a few observations at that
time, & MGD & I exchanged a couple Emails, but it was dropped after my
last one to him, so I can't say that it was ever clearly stated or
understood.

Colloidal Silver makers aren't the first ones to use electrical current
applied to a silver electrode to produce and manipulate metalic silver
ions in a liquid medium; electreoplaters have been doing it for a olng
time, and while their purposes are different, the chemistry is similar,
and the dynamics of electroplating are relevant, I believe.

(Yes, there are also differences, since electroplating is carried out in
some form of 'plating bath' that initially starts with metalic compounds
which dissociate into ions in the solution or 'bath'. Please bear with
me, and I'll try to explain a few of the details which I consider
significant; I'm certainly not an 'expert' on this subject, either, and
am also looking for a clearer understanding of the details of this
process.)

Doug McMurtrie wrote:

> To All,
>
> I have been reflecting on the basic chemistry involved in the production
> of CS.  We place a charge through two silver electrodes in distilled
> water. The concept is that microscopic particles of silver are sintered
> off with a postive charge, i.e. the particles are "short" an electron.
> The problem is, this is the same setup that is used in the elementary
> demonstration of the electrolysis of water.

> A charge is placed into the
> water between two electrodes that causes the hydrogen/oxygen bond to
> break resulting in H+ and O- ions that migrate to the oppositely charged
> electrode.

It may be easier to understand the dynamics if you think of the positive
charge being applied to one (silver) electrode referred to as the ANODE
, while the negative charge is applied to the other electrode, referred
to as the CATHODE.
Localized dynamics very near the surface of each of these electrodes are
significant...

> What I think we are seeing with the "black cloud" that gets
> generated between the electrodes is silver oxide.  The positively
> charged silver particles react with the negatively charged oxygen.  This
> is the same stuff that builds up on fine silverware over time. I think
> it's also why one electrode gets a thick black film over it.

Positively charged silver ions are attracted to the negatively charged
'cathode' electrode; those that come in contact with it gain an
electron, and are 'reduced'/ precipitated as non-charged elemental
silver, which stays weakly attached to the surface of the 'cathode'
electrode, where it builds up as the 'sludge', especially as the CS
concentration and the current through the generator increases.

My observation is that directly on the *surface of the anode* is where
silver is oxidized, as evidenced by it's turning black, and that the
silver that is oxidized there tends to stay weakly attached to the
surface of the anode...
Oxygen gas is evolved at the surface of the anode also, while Hydrogen
gas is evolved at the surface of the cathode.

Here's my question for further comment; are the dynamics such that
oxidation of silver occurs predominantly (or nearly exclusively) *on the
surface* of the anode, and that the silver ions in the solution are
possibly not as prone to oxidation, (due to the differences in charge
distribution and relative densities at various places between / around
the electrodes.)

Keep in mind: Electroplating doesn't plate out oxidized silver onto the
object to be plated.<grin>

Try a simple test & observe; when you remove the electrodes, (using a
clean rubber glove to avoid reaction with your skin acids / oils) take a
bit of the 'sludge' that has accumulated on the negatively charged
electrode, and rub it on the surface of a clean piece of glass. You
should see a 'silvering' as was used to produce the first mirrors. This
is elemental silver, which has lost it's ionic charge...

The residue you can wipe off the *positively charged* electrode, by
contrast, should be a blackish residue (silver oxide).

A reference to a book on Electroplating is on my website, in the article
"Understanding Colloidal Silver"; it goes into the chemistry further in
the introduction. Our work producing CS in pure distilled water changes
the picture in some ways, but I believethe background info is valid for
reference.

>If this is so (and I look to those more sophisticated in chemistry than I for
> comment) then what we are producing may not be "pure" colloidal silver.
> I am concerned because all the negative biological effects of silver
> seem to be associated with silver compounds. Med Line has numerous
> instances of deleterious effects ranging from argyria to seizure
> associated with compounds like silver proteins, silver nitrate, and
> silver acetate. I have found no negative reports associated with pure
> elemental or ionic silver. In fact there is at least one study of long
> term handlers of elemental silver that showed no toxic effects. If this
> analysis is correct, then it may be worthwhile investigating a way to
> rapidly bind the ionic oxygen that is generated during the CS production
> thus reducing the presence of silver compounds in the resulting liquid.
> This would hopefully make CS an ever safer substance to consume than it
> already is.
>
> Looking forward to your responses.
>
> Doug

If others have a further explaination of the dynamics, I'll also welcome
them! I know Bob Lee commented on this subject in the past...

Hope these comments give 'food for thought'...

Bruce K. Stenulson
Applied Technology
The Alternate Health Approaches Forum
http://web.idirect.com/~showcase/althealth