In my very first response to this subject I used the term "scum",
including *most* doctors into that catagory. That was wrong. Douglas
McMurtrie, Mike D and others have made good points to the contrary in
their defense. 98% of all doctors are not "scum", but I think the
percentage of those in the medical field that are driven by ego and
selfish interests (monetary) are fair higher than just a few: Probably
more in the 50-75% range. If that weren't so, you'd be seeing a lot more
of them working for a lot less money and/or even going on "missions" to
other countries to work with devastated people who have literally
nothing. But instead you see them charging $100 (or more) for a
15-minute office visit and driving very nice cars and living in very
nice homes and taking very nice vacations (and many only "work" 4 or 5
hours a day, too); hardly suffering for their "cause" to "help"
humanity, in my opinion. Not to drag this thing out any longer because
it's getting really boring, but having been in the hospital more times
than I care to remember since the age of 4, and being up at all hours
while there, and getting to know MANY doctors and interns alike, and
listening to their conversations (sometimes without them realizing it),
I can assure you that the thought of "helping" people comes *AFTER*
thoughts of money and what they'll be buying and where they'll be going
in the future. Sorry to step on any toes here, but this is pure and
honest observation; I have *nothing* to gain by making such statements.
In fact, in a sense, I'm "biting the hand that feeds me" because I could
have another lung collapse and be under their complete control tomorrow!
But the truth is the truth. My own cousin is a surgeon who's been
"varifying" this truth for the past 10 years to me with *many* stories
of operations that don't need to be done and wrong drugs that are
routinely given and other negligences that are swept under the rug
continually. I personally TWICE IN THE PAST YEAR have had to prove
to/remind my doctor of the drug mistakes he was making with me(!), but
he wasn't paid any less for doing a bad job! They are, for the most
part, untouchable -- and they know it. And *this* is where any "evil"
inherent in the situation ferments (in my opinion). Even *if* they *do*
get prosecuted for some mishap, they just pack up and move to another
state and start a practice there! Amazingly, *VERY* few ever actually
lose their license! By the way: My cousin is sick of it all and is
planning on leaving the medical field; he's currently writing a book on
The Bible.

See ya!

Dameon