I just finish writing and mailing off my "By Jove..." posting, and
here Doug states the case quite well.

I'm afraid some of the people with a lot of experience with CS,
who've seen it work hundreds of times, might be offended by what Doug
says. Before you get upset, please consider it from the mainstream
perspective. We *have* a lot more work to do.

But before anybody can reject CS because it isn't well enough
understood, they'd better be able to explain away a *LOT* of
documented, verifiable, and compelling personal experiences.

Doug wrote:

> Bob,
>
> You are absolutely correct. The situation is even even worse than
> you describe though. I don't believe that people on the list are
> even talking about the same substance half the time. Is CS clear? Is
> it golden? How many microns in size will pass into the blood steam?
> What is the concentration of biologically active CS? Is it 5 ppm or
> 150 ppm? Is it the same if produced by AC or DC currents? Etc. etc.
> etc.

The good news is that every variety of CS has been known to work for
someone. So we don't have to absolutely understand it all for people
to be helped. But your assessment is *right on.*

> I am personally convinced that there is indeed substantial
> beneficial effects from the use of CS and I too am frustrated at
> the lack of scientific understanding regarding its nature and
> effects. Controlled laboratory study is the only way this will come
> about. Until that is done CS should rightly be thought of as a
> tonic with all the ambiguity that is implied in its use and
> effects. It is only after the substance itself is defined, its
> behavior and effects predictable, and its mechanism at least
> somewhat formulated based on scientific experimentation that it
> should approach the status of a medicine.

Our role in this process, as members of the lay public, is to
assemble and advance the anecdotal evidence in as convincing a
fashion as possible, and do whatever systematic science we can so as
to learn for ourselves *and* to stimulate interest in the scientific
and medical community.

The only caveat I will offer is the extent to which mainstream
science and medicine will resist even the most competent presentation
of evidence from "amateurs." We must never abandon our own
responsibility to act as visionaries and "lead from behind." It is
not acceptable to abdicate our initiative and wait for "someone" to
do the right kind of research. It starts with us.

Be well,

Mike D.
[mdev...@mail.id.net                       ]
[Speaking only for myself...              ]