On 11 Jan 98 at 8:06, Tom Clayton wrote:

> As I understand it, the device of attaching batteries to silver
> wires will create colloidal silver, but how does one know what the
> concentration is in PPM?

The only way to *really* know is have a sample tested at a water
quality lab. Other than that, use *exactly* the same setup and
procedure as somebody who *has* tested the results.

(And who might that be, you ask? Errr.. That's one of the problems.)

> Is it really true that 8 oz of water for five minutes connect time
> will accurately make this concentration? Does there have to be
> salt in the water to decrease the total time it takes for this to
> happen?

That recipe uses salt to speed the process. The yield should be about
1 ppm per minute in 8 oz of water. But it will be affected somewhat
by things like electrode geometry, battery condition, water purity,
salt additives, the phase of the moon, nightmares the water had
recently, etc... <G>

The problem with using salt, however, is that it also increases the
*size* of the particles you produce. It is said that this may
increase the risk of toxicity and complications. According to some,
the smaller particles are handled readily by the lymphatic system,
and excreted through the gut. Larger particles aggregate in the skin
because the system has no way to transport them.

So that's the gist of the argument that is leading the major
proponents to stop advocating salt as an electrolyte to boost the
rate. Instead they're telling people to use 25% from a previous
batch for a starter.

> If I want to make larger amounts is it just a multiple of the time
> per unit volume?

Approximately, at least. You'd still want to test.

> Does the water have to be at a certain temperature?

It's up to you. You can make it at room temperature and it'll take
longer. You can do what I do, and raise it to boiling before
beginning and allow it to cool by itself while the process is going
on. Or you could use a hotplate or flame to raise the temp to a
steady 180 F or so and keep it there throughout.

Each will give different rates and yield, and probably affect the
distribution of particle size over a limited range. Heating is
supposed to decrease the particle size and speed production.

> I just want to make sure that the solution is reproducible on a
> consistent basis and that there is no risk of making a solution
> that is too strong (in the absence of being able to measure the
> exact solution concentration by some accurate means) so that there
> is no risk of argyria.

As you should. The good news is, if we can verify it, that the
smaller particles make it almost impossible to OD. But consistant
potency will demand consistent process.

One of the things I think we need *very badly* is a decent and simple
assay for concentration. Anybody got an in with a chemist?

I'd be real happy to figure out something similar to the water
hardness tests used for aquariums. Fill a test tube, add 5 drops of
this, 2 drops of that, and keep adding drops of the other thing until
it changes color. 1 ppm per drop. Wouldn't that be *nice*!?

> I have heard that this is not a stable solution compared to silver
> and protein sold by one of the companies.   Thanks.

Ahhh, you've been listening to the advocates of the ONE TRUE SILVER
PROTIEN haven't you! I warned you about them. They've got a good
product, but won't allow for even the *possibility* that any of us
are being successful.

The experience we've been accumulating here says that these
transparent golden solutions that we make with no salt and hot water
are *very* stable. As Scott Berner reported before his departure,
he's had them stay potent for many *months*. I don't doubt that at
all from what I am seeing in my own use.

And since you can make it as you need it, any reasonable shelf life
will be acceptable.

I hope this helps.

We really need to turn this into a FAQ folks!

Mike

[mdev...@mail.id.net                       ]
[Speaking only for myself...              ]