OK   Had to wait a bit to try this,   a water main broke here and we were
without water at all for almost 24 hrs- sheesh.
This time  I left about an inch below the full line,  removed the carbon from
the filter and scrubbed it clean with a toothbrush.
Readings now are 1.9   Progress Yes,  but not good enough.      Ode suggested
discarding the first cup or so that comes thru-  will try that next along with
only using 3 qts ,   and if that doesn't bring it down will do the double
distillation.   One way or t'other   this is going to work, else I go back to
buying  distilled water.   LOL

zoe