I understand it is harder on the environment than not being a non vegetarian.
Wild animals are very efficient at harvesting their food supply and require no
gas and oil for energy.

  Below is just one of many items on the extreme cost to the enviroment to
eating meats.

  P.S. Eating vegetarian is less costly for me, 1/3 the food budget, because I
eat less by obtaining my vitamins etc.  When one does not get the required
vitamins and minerals their body seeks, the body states it is hungry when in
fact it doesn't need more and more food, it needs nutrients.

  http://www.emagazine.com/view/?142

  Environmental Costs

  Energy-intensive U.S. factory farms generated 1.4 billion tons of animal
waste in 1996, which, the Environmental Protection Agency reports, pollutes
American waterways more than all other industrial sources combined. Meat
production has also been linked to severe erosion of billions of acres of
once-productive farmland and to the destruction of rainforests.

  McDonald’s took a group of British animal rights activists to court in the
1990s because they had linked the fast food giant to an unhealthy diet and
rainforest destruction. The defendants, who fought the company to a standstill,
made a convincing case. In court documents, the activists asserted, “From 1970
onwards, beef from cattle reared on ex-rainforest land was supplied to
McDonald’s.” In a policy statement, McDonald’s claims that it “does not
purchase beef which threatens tropical rainforests anywhere in the world,” but
it does not deny past purchases.
                Circle Four Farms, a Utah-based pork producer, hosts a
three-million gallon waste lagoon. When lagoons like this spill into rivers and
lakes as happened in North Carolina in 1995, the result can be environmentally
catastrophic.    © AP Photo / Douglas C. Pizac
  According to People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA), livestock
raised for food produce 130 times the excrement of the human population, some
87,000 pounds per second. The Union of Concerned Scientists points out that 20
tons of livestock manure is produced annually for every U.S. household. The
much-publicized 1989 Exxon Valdez oil spill in Alaska dumped 12 million gallons
of oil into Prince William Sound, but the relatively unknown 1995 New River hog
waste spill in North Carolina poured 25 million gallons of excrement and urine
into the water, killing an estimated 10 to 14 million fish and closing 364,000
acres of coastal shellfishing beds. Hog waste spills have caused the rapid
spread of a virulent microbe called Pfiesteria piscicida, which has killed a
billion fish in North Carolina alone.
  More than a third of all raw materials and fossil fuels consumed in the U.S.
are used in animal production. Beef production alone uses more water than is
consumed in growing the nation’s entire fruit and vegetable crop. Producing a
single hamburger patty uses enough fuel to drive 20 miles and causes the loss
of five times its weight in topsoil. In his book The Food Revolution, author
John Robbins estimates that “you’d save more water by not eating a pound of
California beef than you would by not showering for an entire year.” Because of
deforestation to create grazing land, each vegetarian saves an acre of trees
per year.

  “We definitely take up more environmental space when we eat meat,” says
Barbara Bramble of the National Wildlife Federation. “I think it’s consistent
with environmental values to eat lower on the food chain.”

 Check outnew cars at Yahoo! Autos.