My experience in medical research, as a pharmacologist specializing in neuro-pharmacology is that we often make *ass-umptions that are not borne out by well conducted basic studies. The studies quoted here, although I have not looked into them in detail appear to be well conducted.

Basically we evolved over billions of years, if you count our evolution from the Big Bang about 4 billion. If you count it from the arrival of Cromagnon about ten thousand. Science and the whole neutriceutical scene is less than fifty years old.

Food as medicine is a time tested principle. Synthesized supplements are not. And well, too much of a good thing can do harm, look at the college kids that killed themselves drinking a couple gallons of water in a short period of time in a hazing incident. Who would think drinking a lot of water is bad for you? Current wisdom tells us to drink more water, but there is a balance to be struck.

Who knows more about the human system than Mother Nature, certainly not the profit motivated folks who push the supplements. But we humans are by nature always looking for a better easier way, a quick fix. It's just so much easier than doing the work of supplying ourselves with good wholesome meals on a regular basis.

That makes most of us an easy target for a fast talking salesman that promises to make life healthier, easier and cheaper than the "old fashioned" way called eating a good diet and taking care of your physical body. Heck no one wants to slow down, take the time to rest and eat good food -- we all feel pushed to keep up with the fast pace of life these days. Also this generation grew up on pills and fast food, so we have a definite bias away from natural sources.

Janet

Dee wrote:
This is absolutely devastating if true, and turns everything I have ever
thought to be right, on its head! Dee -------Original Message------- From: Garnet Date: 07/05/2007 03:19:41 To: crock_lakhov...@yahoogroups.com; Silver List Subject: CS>Food as Medicine - Antioxidants Good or Bad For You? Ran across this article when reading up on Silica Hydride (couldn't wait DB, had to search). http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg19125631.500 "If it turns out that antioxidants in food work because they generate Health-promoting quantities of free radicals, that would be an ironic Turnaround. It may also explain why supplements and extracts don't seem To work or may even be dangerous: the doses are too high, and produce Too many free radicals. For now, the advice is simple. "Stick to flavonoid-rich foods, red wine In moderation, tea, fruits and vegetables," says Halliwell. "Don't start Taking high-dose supplements or heavily fortified foods, until we know More."