Hair loss in general can have several  different causes  related to one's health , but alopecia  is not just hair loss.  Possible tests to determine  which form of  alopecia one is dealing with may give a guide as to what can be done about it.  This link (and there are many more, google for it) http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/tutorials/alopecia/dm029102.pdf    gives  a bit more insight.

A couple of years ago I did some research  for a farmer friend of mine  whose alopecia  started on the line  where he  normally wears his hat or cap,  and a type of fungus was said to be a  contributing factor as well as a compromised immune system.  It turned out to be an irreversible form.

Hanneke~Australia