Idea only  [CYA  disclaimer]

  Wrap in in gauze and keep it soaked with CS for several days.

or

You can also wind some silver wire around the tip [-]and some around the wrist [+] to send silver ions into the thumb with a small amount of electricity. Cover each contact point with CS soaked gauze and connect to an AAA battery.
 Keep the part in between dry.
Use something like a 20K pot to dial down the current till you can't feel any discomfort...or even move the wrist electrode further up the arm.
 If there is reddness developing or itchiness, lower the current some more.
 You can swap the polarity now and then.
A good ammeter would be nice..somewhere around a few tenths of a milliamp should do it, maybe less. The small current tell nerves where to go to re-connect as both ends seek the most conductive path
[ like a game of Marco Polo ] and promotes bone growth [ and re-patterning ]
The silver sends ions directly through the skin [iontophorosis] to fight infection and stimulate stem cells.

[...]