About fiber: I am scared to try all raw foods.

Why? Personally, if I were in your shoes, I'd start off with a day or two of fasting, then start in on lots of veggie juices and Dr Schulze's potassium broth, combined with heaping tablespoons of superfood (I prefer 'Natures First Food' (http://tinyurl.com/2z4mee) from www.rawfood.com to Dr Schulze's, with some extra Chlorella straight from Taiwan). NO fruit juices (fruits should not be juiced as a rule, although, again, apples can be added for sweetening)...

Romaine lettuce once or twice a day is the only vegetable I eat raw.

A full cup of romaine lettuce has less than 2 grams of fiber - so it isn't exactly a 'fiber powerhouse', although it is a bit better than iceberg...

Do eat bananas and cantalope. I know bananas are supposed to be
constipating, but most fruits seem to burn in my upper right ribcage
trouble spot, and I need to gain weight.

The main thing to understand about fruits...

You should not mix them with any cooked foods, *especially* meat or potatoes. Fruits are meant to be digested mostly in the intestines, not the stomach - but if you eat them with 'regular' foods, then they tend to just sit there and ferment (which is why many people get 'gas' when they eat fruit). Some people can tolerate this better than others, obviously...

Also - melons - the rule is 'eat them alone or LEAVE them alone'. Don't even mix them with other fruits - melons are meant to be *entirely* digested in the intestines, and can cause lots of gastric distress if eaten with 'regular' food...

Some exceptions - apples and papayas (due to their enzyme content, these can act as digestive aids to an extent)...

Right now I am passing quite a few stools a day.

The general rule of thumb - according to Dr Schulze - is a bowel movement upon first arising, then one movement after each meal (so, one more movement than meals)...

But... just because you are having the requisite number of movements does *not* automatically mean that you are 'regular' - and Ruth, I guarantee you, the fact that your transit time is 5-7 days means that this is your problem.

If memory serves, transit times for fruits is supposed to be a couple of hours, veggies maybe 3 or 4, and meats/animal proteins, 8 hours or so.