Evening Charles,

>>At 05:16 PM 7/5/2007, you wrote:

Brilliant! This is the first I've heard of it... care to share again?

  Thanks.   Many consider it an illegal device.

Actually, anything you plug to a phone line draws more current than this application. I think the leakage current is more than that at times.

Once I gave a guy one without the full wave bridge. He had a problem or two due to his phone line polarity. The LED will block the voltage and if it worked, the polarity of the alligator clips could be backwards.

Here are a few pictures.
http://www.fugitt.com/files/phonegen/

Late one night, after I sent all the parts to a guy, he could not figure out how to connect it. I make this drawing hurriedly with a pencil even though I have many, many hours in Autocad and can make a decent looking drawing.
http://www.fugitt.com/ph_gen.jpg

If you can save and print it, it very readable. Likely you don't need the drawing anyway.

One of the hard parts in assembly is to get the LED to extend through the hole in the surface block cover.

Locating the hole for the LED requires some measurement.

There are enough screw terminals in the block to make mounting easy. Getting the leads bent properly on the full wave bridge is a bit tricky.

I found it to be faster than the 27 Volt model. Near twice the voltage so likewise the speed is better.

Not sure why many are using 6, 9, and 12 VDC.

If the phone rings and is answered, the 52 VDC will disappear so time will have to be added if one talks on the phone very long.

Today, my land line rings only a very few times per week due to cell phone usage. If not for the alarm system digital communicators I would not need it.

The cost will amaze you as will the utility of the LED.
The drawing shows the resistor size,  6 K I believe.

One could wire an AC transformer, or a DC supply, and adapt a plug and use it that way also.

The Full Wave bridge will even correct the polarity of wrong applied DC voltage. Few people realize this feature of it.
That is actually one of the purposes, phone line reversal.

If you have any questions, let me know.

Wayne