I'm sorry Mary, but I don't agree with you at all.  We all have worms to
some degree I believe, but to have a situation where worms are coming out of
your dog would have to mean that the dog has an infestation.  I have seen
worms which have been sicked up by a dog I had years ago, which came from a
bad breeder.  This was before I learnt about worming etc.,  I scrutinize my
dogs and have never ever seen a worm on them, or coming out of them.  Where
I live in the UK, we have to pick up our dogs faeces and put them in bins
provided, and I can assure you that they have never had worms.   If dogs
live in a ferral way i.e. Outside, then I can believe they could pick them
up, but if your dog is healthy, there is no way they should get out of hand.
 also, simple hygiene i.e washing the hands after touching things like cat
trays etc., would avoid any problems. The way you have put it would make a
lot of mothers get rid of their dogs for no reason IMO. And make a lot of
innocent animals homeless.  Dee

<'Tis not right, a woman going into such places by herself." Granny nodded.
She thoroughly approved of such sentiments so long as there was, of course,
no suggestion that they applied to her.>

-- (Terry Pratchett, Wyrd Sisters)