I use Netscape 7.2 to read my gmail email. I do keep a copy of all my mail on my harddrive in folders and can search them. I use gmail for my junk email when surfing the net and need an email address to stick in. I also use it for my work email as it is easier to access when away from home than my main ISP. I mainly use gmail as a backup in-case I need to look something up if indeed it has gone astray off my computer. This happens every so often when children have some access.

CWFugitt wrote:

service that offers free POP3...

So you can pick up mail with any mail software ? If it is a genuine POP 3 you can.