Evening Charles,

Thanks for the facts and the message.

At 04:55 PM 7/30/2007, you wrote:

"You will be able to access all your mail folders and send mail from any device."

Sending email has nothing to do with IMAP, so this statement is at least a bit misleading - but of course, there is no reason you cannot also run an SMTP server on the same box (which is what I do). But the first part - and everything else I read on that page - is spot on.

OK, that was one. Some of the things it mentioned as not being able to be done is easy and standard features of many email programs.

In what way is it wrong? And if you only have a 'slight understanding' of how IMAP works, how in the world can you then turn around and accuse this web page of being 'DEAD WRONG'?
When you read something in black and white, a slight understanding is enough.

Seems you said it does SMTP.   I did not read that anyplace. Maybe I missed it.

The first line says it is a Webmail package.
It mentions POP 3.  Bit no SMTP.

I read the entire page at the link you provided, and find not one thing that is wrong - except maybe for one comment:

Several links on the side also.

The page emphasizes features of IMAP that are standard and automatic in most programs.

This block,
(4) Filing email is not the best use of your time
Storing mail in folders with subfolders and nested sub-sub folders is not a productive way to spend your day.

Suggest that this is a manual operation and takes time.
It takes zero time, but I do not use folders and subfolders, and only MBX ( mailbox files )

>> Valid concerns as far as they go - but maybe you haven't heard >> of 'offline support' for IMAP? Thunderbird has had this for a long
>>  time, as do most other mature IMAP clients.

My mailer appears to support IMAP but have never used it. I don't think any of my mail servers have IMAP.

By enabling 'offline support' for all of your IMAP folders, you are essentially keeping local copies of everything (not just the headers), so that you can search, reply, save attachments, etc, all without being connected to the internet.
OK, I can understand that. You could use IMAP just like any mail server without using all the features.

Most reliable in what regard? By using IMAP with offline support (which I do recommend), you have the best of both worlds...
   I don't disagree, but have never needed the other world.

>>'Accounts > Get mail from other accounts' setting. Of course, this >> is all way beyond what the average person will ever want, need >> or do...

  Yes, the average person will be snowbound by IMAP.

I talked to one network administrator today, He also has web servers he manages.

He did not say anything bad about it. He did state that many, if not most network adminstrators like and use IMAP.

>> I have about 25 email addresses, some I manage/host myself
>> (my own domains), others are freebies like gmail, yahoo, etc
>> (the yahoo and hotmail are only for IM service, so I can have an >> IM identity for each of the services so I can talk to anyone on
 >> any service)...

It appears it was made by and for adminstrators and very powerful users. No complaints in that respect of course.

>>I have 15 different accounts set up in TBird right now - all IMAP
>> based (with fetchmail to handle the POP only accounts like my
>> Netzero and gmail), all accessed through Thunderbird...

  OK, I can understand and appreciate that for sure.

Thunderbird would handle dozens - heck, hundreds of email accounts, and as many servers (each account can be on the same server, or a different one - makes no difference).

I just picked the number 15 not based on any facts. It handles more than I want or need.

And one thing I really like about Thunderbird is each account has its own folders (Inbox, Sent, Drafts, Templates, etc)... makes keeping things organized a breeze...
    OK, now you have about sold me on Thunderbird.  <grin>

Emergency, or convenience... although I use strong passwords on all of my accounts, so I have to carry my password for my main account around with me as I still haven't memorized it (15 characters long, numbers, letters and special characters)...
   I won't ask how long it took you to learn all that.

I prefer carrying around my Portable Thunderbird - then as long as I have access to a computer with a live USB port, I don't need to pull out my main account/password and resort to webmail.
   OK, another plus.  You have that on key chain device or similar?

I may have been a "little" wrong about gMail.

A *little*? ;) Almost everything you initially accused it of was wrong...
Not 100 %. I just did not like the wording on the information page I found. Likely there are better ones.

Wayne - be honest - and please don't blame someone else for your own errors.

I consider they are exaggerating a thing or two not granting that some of the things can be done other ways.

I have set up dozens of mail SERVERS, usually a combination of postfix/courier-imap (but now I'm leaving courier-imap for dovecot), all running SSL only connections, all requiring strong passwords... I couldn't count the number of mail CLIENTS I've set up for friends, family and clients...

  I understand and respect your ideas and opinions.

Thanks for all the facts.  OK.. I will admit I was wrong.

Wayne