From:   M. G. Devour [SMTP:mdev...@mail.id.net]
Sent:   Wednesday, July 07, 1999 7:07 AM
To:     silver-list@eskimo.com
Subject:        CS>The other silver list...

Chuck wrote:
>  other silver list? What's that?

Some months back we received an infusion (transfusion?) of folks from
the demise of the csilver list that was run by a faculty member at
Jamestown College by the name of Katherine Stevenson.

I contacted her at that time and the reason she gave for shutting
down the list was just the high volume and amount of effort required
to maintain the list. Given my experience with *this* list I can
understand perfectly.

She had no way on her system to control or sort the flow of incoming
mail she had to deal with, so it became too difficult for her to use
e-mail for her own work. The combined flood of list messages, bounce
messages from blocked mail addresses, administrative messages, and
other list related traffic would be like being on the silver list --
at least four times over! So you can imagine the additional workload
that represented.

The only reason I can handle things as well as I can is the load is
separated into several streams. The list I read from here while
administrative stuff goes to my eskimo account which I only check a
few times a week. I am able to automatically sort my incoming mail
into separate folders by header strings, so everything is quite
orderly. Without those skills and tools I'd be swamped too.

In answer to my direct questions Katherine specifically said *nobody*
influenced her decision to shut down the list, nor was it related to
the nature of the discussions taking place on the list at that time.

To the extent that I can judge, I'd accept her at her word. I'm
explaining this again in hopes of slowing the growth of mythology
around the situation.

The infusion of new people from the csilver list has changed the
character of the silver list in a number of ways. But we have
evolved a new balance that continues to make the list a worthy
endeavor for all who choose to be here. Thank you all.

Be well,

Mike D.
silver list owner

[mdev...@mail.id.net                       ]
[Speaking only for myself...              ]

List maintainer: Mike Devour <mdev...@id.net>