Hi group!

Let me clarify a few things about topics for the list...

Way back when I first took over as list owner, I quickly learned that
people will *ALWAYS* ask questions of the form: "What can I do for..."
"Does anybody know about..." "Where can I find..."  In other words,
health related questions and topics that were not necessarily directly
related to the main topic of Colloidal Silver.

No amount of restrictions on those sorts of questions would have
filtered them all out without rendering the list useless. After all,
how can one even know if CS might be relevant, without first asking?

Then, there are almost always people on the list who have answers to
those questions, including answers that are not directly related to CS,
and they ARE going to want to give them. Any attempt to censor them and
force their contributions into private mail will be met with numerous
requests for the same information, most of which *WILL* go through the
list for the simple reason that you'll *NEVER* get everyone to be savvy
and careful enough to use e-mail as skillfully as is possible.

Given these *INEVITABLE* characteristics of human nature, the
population of our group, and the nature of the medium, I quickly
evolved certain rules for choosing topics to discuss:

Certain topics are *STRONGLY* discouraged.

Politics is prohibited except from brief heads-up notices of matters
directly related to CS or important alternative health matters, with
follow-up to be taken off-list or to our OT list.

Religion, spirituality, or mysticism are prohibited since it is almost
impossible to say anything on these topics that won't inflame or offend
somebody.

The debate over vegetarianism versus meat eating is one of these nearly
"religious" topics. Like with religion, overt evangelization of either
vegetarianism or meat eating is not welcome. It just should not become
a topic for discussion.

Nor can we demand that everyone conceal every concievable interest or
attitude for fear of offending someone else. Some degree of tolerance
is expected of all of us in exchange for the gross restrictions on
these major controversial topics.

Thus, passing mention of prohibited things, like the occasional "God
Bless" or "You're in our prayers," or Wayne's mention of animal
products in a smoothie, or your preference for a vegetarian lifestyle
isn't out of order or "offensive," so long as it isn't confrontational
or excessive.

So, I expect, John P., that you will accept the notion that you share
the list with people who do not believe as you do, and will extend to
them the same respectfulness and freedom to choose which you expect in
return. In simple terms, don't continue to hammer on vegetariansim.
You're not going to convert anybody and it will interfere with your
ability to interact with the group.

Be yourself, and allow others to do the same. It takes effort to get
along. You're all expected to make that effort.

So, religion and politics are prohibited. What is allowed?

Any health related question or issue may be raised and answers given,
even if they don't relate to the main topic.

CS related things can, of course, be discussed until the topic is
exhausted.

Non-CS related things OUGHT TO be discussed more briefly, so that basic
curiosity can be satisfied and important resources be pointed out, then
moved to the OT list, other forums, or private mail.

In actual practice, topic control has tended toward a looser style,
with wide-ranging alternative health related discussions allowed while
waiting for questions related to CS to be asked.

I'll step in occasionally to ask for topics to be retired that have
gone on too long or are generating complaints.

Now, that's not the only way a list can be run, but it is, effectively,
how this one is working right now. As the needs and preferences of the
members change, so will my moderation, within broad limits.

In that interest, I ask that if you have complaints or suggestions, you
direct them to me in private e-mail. I take such communications into
consideration as I manage the people and discussion.

If you see things deteriorating, of course, a heads-up to me is always
welcome. I may have seen whatever it is already, but sometimes not. I
do have to spend some time away from the computer, it seems. <grin>

My e-mail address, plus the web site address for the list rules and
instructions are always in the footer at the bottom of every message
from the list. Please study the web site if you have any question about
the rules and how the list is intended to work, or ask me.

Thank you, everyone.

Be well,

Mike Devour
silver-list owner