As Kathryn has discovered, there have been some interruptions to
service over the last day or so.

I haven't tracked them in detail, but Robert, the owner of Eskimo, has
sent out notices of denial of service attacks, some of which have
succeeded in slowing throughput and in at least one case crashing a
server.

If you send a message and it doesn't show up from the list within a few
minutes, wait a half hour or more before you re-send. Often delays like
that will clear themselves.

If you get a bounce message back from eskimo and/or your own service
provider, read what it says. Somewhere in all the incomprehensible
gibberish will be a few phrases that are dicipherable and usally help
explain what's going on. Yes, even you will be able to get some
information out of it if you try! <grin>

Most problems serious enough to take Eskimo off the 'net don't last
more than an hour or two. It's amazing the amount of effort that has
gone into UNIX/Linux server development to provide for robustness and
recovery from failures.

As long as anything is getting through, feel free to e-mail me, as
well. I can help troubleshoot.

As far as I have heard, right now things are working but there may
still be some vulnerabilities that are not yet patched. So, things
might go down again from time to time.

Be well,

Mike Devour
silver-list owner