> > I agree, when is this vaccine talk going to be put to rest? This is a
> > CS group talk, not vaccine. Diane M

Smitty:
> Aren't non-CS topics supposed to be on the
> silver-off-topic-list ?

I don't routinely object to some fraction of the list's traffic being
off topic at any time. In fact, 50% CS-related is doing well, often-
times, as long as overall volume stays moderate to light.

When things really start hopping and CS topics are relegated to
minority status, I will normally step in to ask specific OT threads to
be ended.

Why allow so much OT content? Because people want it. They have other
health-related questions they want to bring to a knowledgeable group of
people they respect. Those people have answers to those questions, many
of which won't relate to CS.

I only ask that people self-limit the OT content, by moving or ending
such topics once basic curiosity is satisfied and other resources are
pointed out so people can continue their own research. The Off Topic
List is also available for those who want to pursue things in greater
depth.

Sometimes "self-limiting" needs a nudge from me, which I may or may not
provide depending on the circumstances.

I have long observed that the less often I step in to squash threads,
the better the discussion. My moderator's voice falls like a peal of
thunder, no matter how gently I try to speak, and frightens people,
particularly newcomers, into being hesitant to post anything at all.

It's a juggling or balancing act which will never yield a solution
that's comfortable for everyone all the time. Some will never be
satisfied with the amount of OT content, wanting very strict control on
topic. Others would never be happy with that, finding it stifling and
overbearing. So we weave back and forth somewhere in the middle.

Having said all that, I *do* want to hear feedback from any of you when
you think things are getting out of hand one way or the other. A
private note to me is sufficient, and often needed to bring my
attention to the situation when I'm doing other things sometimes and
letting the list coast along on its own.

Remember that the list web site address is in the footer at the bottom
of each message from the list. There you'll find list rules and
etiquette explained, which should give you a good idea of how I intend
the list to run.

My e-mail address is in the footer as well, anytime you want to send me
a comment.

Thank you,

Mike Devour
silver-list owner