On Nov 21, 2007, at 2:28 PM, Marshall Dudley wrote:

Brooks Bradley wrote:
I would remind list members that if one is investigating the use of LED bulbs/arrays for circulation improvement and/or topical pathogen control....we have found that the red spectrum elements in the 660 to 680 nanometer range are MUCH superior those in other ranges. They do not cost any more than other colored...or clear bulbs.....but are immensely more effective at circulation improvement. At least that has been our experience.
Sincerely, Brooks Bradley.

That is correct. Which left me wondering how much "red" there is in a white LED. This seems to answer that:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/4/48/White_LED.png

Apparently not a lot. I believe that much of the reason that the red works so much better than the other colors is that the shorter wavelengths are absorbed before they get much penetration. If you shine a white light on your hand, what you see coming through will be red.

Marshall

I looked at the graph, and was not sure how to interpret it. There was a spike in the graph between 500 and 600nm.

But when I was a kid, I thought the flashlight was red because I have red blood! LOL --Kathryn