5 weeks ago I cut my L index finger deeply trying to cut a stubborn grape cluster vine in the refrigerator. I cut a triangular piece 1/4" on each side and going into the side of my nail 4 cm from the top of the nail. It was scary but it was 10 pm Saturday night and I didn't want to go to the emergency room and spend $100's on it, besides which I had seen my ducks heal with CS soaks from terrible injuries, a limb amputation on one and having a 1" chunk bitten out of the neck of another exposing bone, and a 3" chuck bitten out of her side. So I had my DH butterfly it for me, which wasn't too successful since it was apparent a week later when we took off the bandages that at the apex of the cut the edges were not quite touching and the side toward the nail was skewed somewhat. Also there was numbness and tingling in the cut and sometimes across the end of my finger when I soaked it in CS daily. Then I started adding DMSO 10%. Anyway, 4 weeks later it's still somewhat numb but the rather squishy dried out feel to the skin finally resulted in the whole flap detaching in a 1-2 mm layer of dead skin exposing a very pink layer of new very sensitive skin, complete with fingerprints. So I am thankful once again for the marvels of CS.:-)

I will probably have to keep wearing a band-aid for protection for quite a while and trimming off dead skin at the edges. And my CS was very strong and stained my fingernail, which will have to grow out.

Nancy