Kathy, sorry for the late reply, I just found this in the quagmire
(sp) of my inbox!

I am not a trained homeopath so my explanation of rubics is very
simplistic and generic but here it goes.

Prior to prescribing a homeopathic remedy a rubic is done. The rubic
process is basically data collection of symptom patterns and related
facts associated with the case subject which are compared to known
remedy states. Then they are tallied. The whole process lends
direction to the homeopath (or layperson) to accurately determine the
most likely remedy needed to bring about a balance within the current
state of the WHOLE being.

Besides the fact that I feel homeopathy is much safer than
pharmaceuticals, the main reason I prefer homeopathy is that it takes
the whole (individual) person into account. Many things that are
either dismissed or considered to be completely irrelevant in standard
allopathic medical treatment are VERY  significant when it comes to
homeopathic prescribing.

Things like:
the content or context of your recent dreams
times of day the related symptom appears, ie headache - 3am
the physical and emotional state of you mother while inutero
likes & dislikes of food, temperature, etc

For example, I currently live (and always have lived) within 5 min of
a lake and really find that comforting at a soul level, I like knowing
i can go there at a moments thought, hearing the water, watching the
water, being near the water, but have no desire to enter the water.

OK, just for fun, I'm gonna do a search of the proper definition:

Rubric - a symptom as written in a homeopathic repertory.

Well, it seems my description took it a bit farther to include repertorizing.

Repertorize - to repertorize a case one looks up symptoms in a repertory.

Hope that helps,
Mary