Subject : Fwd: SO>peacock problem

Date : Wed, 9 Apr 2008 21:33:19 -0500

From : "Brooks Bradley" <bradlebro...@gmail.com>

To : brooks76...@lycos.com

---------- Forwarded message ----------

Dear Smitty,

Some years ago I had a friend who planted a beautiful, small,

flower and vegetable garden

directly in the middle of a very large, well manicured lawn. He

possessed about 15 adult hens

(chickens) and one rooster. The chickens were devastating his garden.

Upon the advice of another friend of his ( I think he was an old,

retired small acreage farmer), he installed a single strand of

electric fence about 7 inches above the ground. The very next day he

called me and said to come over.....and I did. What I beheld was,

simply, amazing, there were all of the chickens throughout the

expanse of a large 1/2 acre lawn......but NONE in the vicinity

of the garden. I could hardly believe it and said so. He related

that about 30 minutes after sunrise that morning that the rooster had

marched across the lawn leading his troop directly to the garden. As

soon as he approached the single wire stand he advanced up to the

wire...on foot....never attempting to fly over, and he tentatively

reached out with his beak and touched the wire------it knocked him

over backwards about a foot.......and after about 15 seconds he

staggered to his feet and retreated as fast as he was able. My

friend related the secret to me. When there is a rooster with a flock

of hens HE is in charge and the hens always follow HIS lead......so

although none of the hens got shocked, neither did they, or the

rooster, ever go near that little electrically-fenced garden .. At

the end of that summer when I again went over....not one chicken had

ventured back into the garden. A few years later, my father-in-law

(who happened to have three peafowl...one cock and two hens) was

encountering a similar problem as had my other friend. I suggested to

my father-in-law he might try the same protocol on his peafowl.....as

had my other friend. We agreed that due to the much greater size of

the peafowl, than my friend's rooster, that two strands about 20 "

tall at the top might guarantee a better chance of success. This my

father-in-law did and achieved the same success as did my earlier

friend. I was raised on a farm, kept chickens for 30 years, but

never had any idea that such a scheme could possibly work......because

the chickens would simply fly over the single strand. Such DID NOT

prove to be the case. Mitch (my friend) inquired from his farmer

friend as to why the rooster did not just fly over the fence...the

farmer related that roosters are very inquisitive animals and are

always cautious when encountering NEW physical circumstances....and

Mitch's Game rooster was no exception.

I do not guarantee success, but this little scheme has

worked for both of the fellows

mentioned.......and I might include-----for me, since that time.

In any event Patrice's dilemma has given me the opportunity

to relate this story for the first time in 30 years.

Sincerely, Brooks Bradley