Hey Faith,
A good rule of thumd is half your body wieght in ounces of water. So if you
weigh 160 pounds, that'd be pretty close to 3 liters or quarts of water per
day. Weather and sweating would increase the amount. It's better to drink water
in small amounts throughout the day then wait till your thirsty. When you feel
thirsty it's because your body is dehydrated. You may have seen or heard of
athletes chugging water and dropping dead from doing so?? When you chug in a
large amount of water it pulls all the minerals including salt from your body
and can stop your heart from beating on the spot, no salt no way for your heart
to beat. This is why athletes drink gator-ade or other sports drinks because
they contain electrolytes so that doesn't happen. Of course, they are loaded
with food coloring and aspartame, so it would be better to drink a salt water
mixture. Problem is they can't get paid from any company through endorsements
for drinking salt water. The sports drinks do taste pretty good too, unlike
salt water.

Kurt