Date:   Sun,   04   May   2003   23:34:51   -0500
From:   Brooks   Bradley   <brooks.brad...@worldnet.att.net>
  Several   years   past,    we   were   privy   to   a series   of
evaluations,   conducted   by   another   institution,   in   which   they
were unable   to   find   a   flu-like   virus----from   among   a   large
number----which   could survive   direct   exposure   to   10%   acetic
acid   (common   vinegar)   combined   with   a very   weak   surfactant
(detergent);    and   less   than   5%   of   these   viruses   could
survive   an   environment   of   5%   acetic   acid.       A   majority
of   them   were completely   unable   to   replicate   in   an
environment    presenting   with   acetic acid   concentrations   as   low
as   3.75%   .   One   can   only   assume   that   the   many   gifted
research   facilities   addressing   the   SARS   challenge   .have
tested----and confirmed   that   SARS   .unlike   the   flu-like   viruses
tested   by   this   small research   group   is   immune   to   organic
acid   environments   below   %?   Sincerely,        Brooks   Bradley.
C   Creel   wrote:
>   SARS   can   live   on   common   surfaces >   By   Rob   Stein,   The
> Washington   Post
>   The   SARS   virus   can   survive   on   common   surfaces   at   room
> temperature   for   hours   or   even   days,   which   could   explain
> how   people   can   catch   the   deadly   lung   infection   without
> face-to-face  contact   with   a   sick   person,   scientists   have
> found.
>   NEW   LABORATORY   STUDIES,   being   released   today,   have >
> produced   the   first   scientific   data   on   how   long   the   SARS
> virus >   can   live   in   various   places   and   conditions,
> demonstrating   for   the >   first   time   that   the   microbe   can
> linger   outside   an   infected >   person's   body.
>   One   study   showed   the   virus   survived   for   at   least   24
> hours   on   a    plastic   surface   at   room   temperature,   which
> suggests   it   might   be >   possible   to   become   infected   from
> touching   a   tabletop,   doorknob   or   other   object.   Another
> found   the   microbe   remained   viable   for   as   long   as   four
> days   in   human   waste,   a   crucial   finding   that   could
> clarify   how   the   virus   can   spread   through   apartment
> buildings,   hospitals   and   other   facilities.
>  German   scientists   found   a   common   detergent   failed   to   kill
> the   virus,   indicating   that   some   efforts   to   sterilize
> contaminated >   areas   may   be   ineffective.   An   experiment
> conducted   in   Japan    concluded   that   the   virus   could   live
> for   extended   periods   in   the    cold,   suggesting   it   could
> survive   the   winter.
>>   The   long-awaited   findings   should   be   crucial   for
>> containing   the >   epidemic,   and   they   could   solve   one   of
>> the   most   important >   mysteries   about   the   new   disease:   how
>> the   virus   spreads >   without   direct   exposure   to   infected
>> individuals.
>   "It's   the   first   time   we   have   hard   data   on   the
> survival   of   the >   virus.   Before,   we   were   just
> speculating,"   Klaus   Stohr,   the>   World   Health   Organization's
> top   SARS   scientist,   said >   yesterday.   "There   has   been   a
> lot   of   speculation   that   the   touching   of   objects   could   be
> involved.   This   shows   that
>   transmission   by   contaminated   hands   or   contaminated   objects
> in   the   environment   can   play   a   role."
>   In   addition,   the   findings   will   help   researchers   develop
> better >   tests   for   the   virus   and   possible   treatments.   Now
> that   they   know >   what   temperatures   kill   the   virus,
> researchers   can   purify   serum >   from   sick   people   to   use
> in   calibrating   tests   and   possibly   to   give >   other   patients
> as   a   therapy.   Serum   contains   antibodies   that   are >
> [...]
  "We're   beginning   to   understand   how   this   virus   can   survive
in >   the   environment,"   he   said.