Hi, Wayne, here it is. I liked it, others probably liked it too. I felt it was very self explanatory, and did not require additional explanation or commentary. Thanks for taking the time to post it. -kathryn

Begin forwarded message:

From: CWFugitt <c_wa...@earthlink.net>
Date: July 29, 2007 10:53:55 PM CDT
To: silver-list@eskimo.com
Subject: CS>We don't "Have to" know

Things we don't have to know in order to make CS.

Evening Faith,

This is not directed at you but any that want it to be.

However, some of your questions and statements gave me the idea for this list and the message.

There are many things we don't have to know, some we must know, and others fall in between.

We do not have to know .........:

Instrumentation

TDS, PTW PPM, Conductivity
Volts from Amps
AC from DC
Mili Siemens  and micro Siemens
Mili mho  micro mho  ( now mostly obsolete )
Current Volts Amps
Ohms Law
The Faraday Equation
Water Conductivity
Batch Current
Hot to use a Multi-Meter
The Difference between a Transformer and a Power Supply
Advanced Technical Knowledge in any associated field
( Others exist of course )

The things you must know and do !

No matter if you buy an intelligent automatic generator, a semi-automatic generator, a manual generator, build it, or someone helps you build it, you will be furnished very simple instructions. You must go by these exactly. If for any reason, you do not understand them, go back to the source for explanations.

While going by these instructions, you have some important tasks to accomplish. Without instrumentation, you must train your eye and your mind, flawlessly.

With all the generators mentioned above, you must be able to look at it ( actually look at the batch ) and tell if it is working properly. With the simpler and manual generators, your eye will become your number one instrument and measuring tool. It will become very keen and you will learn several important things. Use a Clock to time each batch. The elapsed time and the things you observe are very important. A little manual stirring does not hurt.

Over time, your skills will amaze you.  Trust me !

As you learn more and more, you may begin to make slight changes but you must understand why your are doing it, and the results to expect.

I suggest you make a log on each batch, with elapsed time, other notes, and especially your eye observations.

If you are blind or have impaired vision, ask for help from someone.
A keen eye and a fully functional brain are both a must.

Over time, you may learn and understand some of the terms above and want to study them in order to understand more.

Why ask a question when you don't even understand the question, much less the answer ? That is, unless you ask, "Where do I learn about this".

I fear that making CS is a lot like computers. Most do not study enough to get half way to first base. Therefore they do not understand many points made about each.

In summary,  "Don't worry about what you don't know".

I have an 80 year old sister that makes lots of CS. She gives it away and travels around applying it to wounds that will not heal.

She understands nothing, other than the instructions.

All of the items mentioned, and my statements can have much, much more said about them.

I hope this message will make life easier for the ones that simply will never understand some of the things relating to CS.

Again, if you will train your eye, your mind, use a clock and keep a log, you will make great CS and can enjoy the many benefits while your learn more, ....... as much as you desire.

Wayne