Evening Sol,

>> At 10:45 AM 7/3/2008, you wrote:

 I see Mike has deep sixed this topic it seems,

I understood Mikes message to mean Hunting and Not hunting. I did not understand it to mean growing food, pests, and pests control. If I had, I would not have posted the 2 or so messages about that.

but I have a couple questions for  you:
1) What happens to the napthalene moth balls--

  He certainly  did not include the topic of your message,

  "Toxic Household Chemicals"

do they off gas into oblivion, or does the napthalene go into the soil, and from there into the water supply or into your plants?

Mothballs are near 100 % napthalene. Often they do not last long enough to do much of anything.

Just how toxic is naptha/lene,

  Very toxic under some conditions.

and how long does it remain in
the ground/water/soil

  What makes you think this happens at all ?
(if that is where it ends up)?
  Ok........ it ends up as a gas.

The decomposition time is effected by Humidity, Sunlight,
Wind, Rainfall, ( or dew )  and  a few other things.

2) Do the napthalene moth balls deter any other critters? Such as raccoons, stray cats, mice?
  No doubt, to some degree.

  You could test this easily.  Some animals tolerate them better than others.

I was able to deter deer from eating flowers in the front yard by shaving Irish Spring soap around the plantings, but not very practical for a large area, LOL, and needs to be reapplied after every rain.

  True, mothballs need to be replaced after rain.

  I catch catfish on soap also.

My answers are not complete, final and may not even be correct. Only a chemist can explain and answer all that you asked.

Wayne