Oooh!

Potentially affected equipment include but are
not limited to, washing machines containing electrodes that emit
silver, copper, or zinc ions and ion generators used in swimming pools
to kill algae and as an adjunct to the chlorination process.

There was a deal of correspondence on the group a few years back from and to
someone who was building a unit like this - I think it was for swimming
pools?  And we were delighted when we heard of the washing machines with
built in silver "generators"!

The
notice clearly stated that if an article uses physical or mechanical
means to trap, destroy, repel, or mitigate any pest, it is considered
to be a device. In contrast, if the article incorporates a substance or
mixture of substances to prevent, destroy, repel, or mitigate any pest,
it is considered to be a pesticide.The articles covered by this notice are
ion generators that
incorporate a substance (e.g., silver or copper) in the form of an
electrode, and pass a current through the electrode to release ions of
that substance for the purpose of preventing, destroying, repelling, or
mitigating a pest (e.g., bacteria or algae). Because these items
incorporate a substance or substances that accomplish their pesticidal
function, such items are considered pesticides for purposes of FIFRA,
and must be registered prior to sale or distribution.So we are drinking
pesticide!  Who knew?

Nice one, Government.  Blazing the trail for other countries to follow suit.

Steve's post led me to do a bit of research in this area.  Have a look at
this:
http://www.epa.gov/fedrgstr/EPA-PEST/2007/September/Day-21/p18591.htm

I am beginning to feel lucky that all been doing is selling 99997 silver
wire (presumably to be used in manufacturing jewelry).
This is really nothing to laugh about.  Our government has become so large
and powerful that it can do whatever it wants.