        From: Norton, Steve [mailto:stephen.nor...@ngc.com]
        Sent: Thursday, August 28, 2008 6:21 PM
        To: silver-list@eskimo.com
        Subject: RE: CS>brewing question - and Rule of Thumb for CS
Concentration

        I tried to post this earlier with embedded figures but I guess
that failed. Here it is without embedded figures.

        Excellent post Dan.
        CS ppm is such a difficult issue and more complex than most
probably realize. I shudder when ppm is mentioned especially in relation
to generation time. You have done a terrific job of explaining the
variables related to CS generation time but I don't think that one
should consider reducing generation time without also understanding the
issues of colloidal particle size and just what ppm means in that
regard. Ppm is a measure of the   weight of the silver in the solution
relative to the weight of the solution. A 10 ppm solution could consist
of a relative few but large silver particles or consist of a large
number of very small silver particles. This is I think well illustrated
at:

        http://www.silvergenesis.com/producing2.htm
<http://www.silvergenesis.com/producing2.htm> , where I copied the
following from:

        "ppm" stands for "parts per million". In laboratory terms, this
is actually a measurement of weight (mg/litre). This indicates "how
much" of a particular mineral or element is in the liquid medium. "ppm"
has no bearing on quality, or efficacy whatsoever!

        (Fig. 1)

         see link above

        1 particle = 10 ppm     (Fig. 2)

         see link above

        10 particles = 10 ppm   (Fig. 3)

         see link above

        10 thousand trillion particles = 10 ppm
        Even though Fig. 1 and Fig. 3 equal the same ppm (mg/litre), it
is quite obvious that the product in Fig. 3 will have infinitely more
bio-availability and efficacy.

        If Fig. 1 measures 100 or even 500 mg/litre, the product in Fig.
3 is still of infinitely higher quality. The only indicator of quality
(and efficacy) is the particle size. The end product will remain crystal
clear when the production cycle is complete and will remain stable
indefinitely.

        A true silver colloid will have countless trillions of ultra
microscopic silver particles. These are actually altered atoms of silver
(i.e. positively charged silver ions) and are typically 0.001 of a
micron in diameter - or about four millionths of an inch in size!

        It is scientifically impossible to produce the quality of
electro colloidal silver in Fig. 3 within a matter of minutes! It
requires a slow, gentle process over time. "

        When you speed up CS generation by any method, except by using
electrodes with larger surface areas, you increase the average size of
the silver particles in the solution. Particle size is important for two
reasons:

        *       Effectiveness of a silver colloid is predicated on the
particle surface area. Particle size is one of the two main factors that
determine the particle surface area of a colloid. Smaller particle sizes
are more desirable because the smaller the particles, the greater the
particle surface area. Particle surface area is inversely proportional
to particle size, which means for a constant concentration of particles,
the surface area increases as the particle size decreases. For example,
the particle surface area of 1 ppm of particles having a mean diameter
of 10 nm is 0.423 cm2/mL, while 1 ppm of 1 nm diameter particles has a
particle surface area of 4.229 cm 2/mL. Particle surface area serves as
a metric for comparing different colloidal solutions. In the chemical
world, reactivity increases with increasing surface area. Therefore, the
effectiveness of colloidal solutions increases with decreasing particle
size. ( http://www.silver-colloids.com/Pubs/AboutParticleSize.html
<http://www.silver-colloids.com/Pubs/AboutParticleSize.html> )
        *       Having just said that particle size defines the
effectiveness of a CS solution, I will now say "But not always".
Particle size is also important to the effectiveness of CS in combating
an infection. It has been shown that very small silver colloids are not
always effective against some larger bacteria but that larger silver
particles are. (Not sure where I read that so no link) Therefore. IMO, a
CS solution should be a mix of particle sizes with the great majority of
particles being the smallest size particles you can generate. When you
make CS you automatically generate a range of particle sizes. But when
you speed of the generation process by moving the electrodes closer or
by increasing the voltage, you move the range of particle sizes to
larger average particle size.

        Personally, I intentionally try to generate CS with a mix of
both large and small particles with the bulk being as small as
reasonably possible. Just my opinion.

         Steve N