Hi Wayne

Thank you for your reply and insights.

Yes, I believe a phone line powered can be safely made used as you addressed in
your email.

However, my post dealt with Do It Your Selfers that do not have your level of
expertise.

My point of reference was "Phone Generators" that were somewhat less
sophisticated which I have "dissected" when I repaired them.

The majority of them were "Beck Units" consisting of a resistor to drop voltage
and a diode to keep the silver particle size from being all over the map.  Some
of the units did not even contain even these components. All of the users
related the use of saline to accelerate the time/make the unit work; not one
ever used only DW. A few were making CS into the hundreds (based on time) ppm.

None of these units contain a bridge rectifier as you mentioned in your design.

(Personally, I would add either a "voltage" clamp" (various ways to achieve
this)or add two ICs to doubly regulate the power supply to keep the Voltage
from increasing.)

As I previously related most of the people who had me repair these Phone
Generators were senior citizens, who were living in homes they purchased
pre-owned.  As I lived 30 years in a home built in late 1940's (with additions
in the 1960's) and worked in Retail Stores built in the 1920's-1970's, the
phone wiring has varied from the barely functional to the poorly designed. Some
of the wiring was essential copper with varnished cloth as an insulation. This
was also true for most of the electrical wiring (not the phone system) in a
pharmacy I worked in housed in a building built before 1925. The phone system
was fortunately from the 1960s.

I did not use the term "office" as none of these phones systems at my work
places were offices or were comparable to the systems found in even the
smallest banks, real estate offices, doctor or legal offices. Two or three
phone lines at best. No PBX to be scene or dedicated operator. Most of the
businesses were small "mom and pop shops." The owners were more concerned with
dollar driven economics than anticipating growth and future expandability. And
they lived with these phone "systems" using the term loosely for 30 years or
until the phone system died.

I, too have worked with regulated voltage supplies, Lower Voltage/DC to about
800V, in this case in Tube Amplifiers all of with can kill you. I never wanted
to work in High Voltage (1000V or higher). The technology has varied from WE
and RCA designs to present innovations.

For those of the readers without Wayne's Credentials or background. All safety
precautions apply.

If you do not know what these precautions are, either use batteries or be
prepared to educate yourself. First thing to learn, always keep one hand in
your pocket when around live circuit.

Best Regards,

Steve

com>