Electronics technicians and others who get military training learn that radar units can hold a deadly charge long, long after power is cut off. It's standard operating procedure to "drain" the voltage off before starting any repair work. Probably true of other devices as well. Your caution is well-justified. This is one area in which ignorance can be deadly.