Dan writes:
> I take exception to this characterization. Electricity in a metal
> conductor moves at the speed of light.

Yes, Dan, the effects of an EMF propagate at the speed of light, but
individual *electrons* don't! (To the extent they exist as discrete
objects at all!)

The ping-pong balls in a tube analogy illustrates this.

> You are opening a can of worms talking about the speed of flow of
> actual electrons or charges...

No doubt, and I don't expect any of this to stand up to rigorous
analysis... The question is, can it give Neville at least an intuitive
grasp of the concepts?

Be well,

Mike D.